Monday, June 17, 2013

When a clock is hungry it goes back four seconds.

It's true. When I am hungry I definitely go back for seconds. However, my seconds happen to be prepackaged meals or snacks that literally take four seconds to cook.  So when its time for me to cook for myself, I am too lazy, or too busy to prepare my meals. However, I am determined to change that and become a seasoned chef!

After class on Saturday, I was inspired by my new blog to try out my very first recipe. When I  got home I found myself falling back into the routine of looking for a lean cuisine or seeing what new mixture of cereals I could create for myself. As I looked into the freezer I saw one of my go-to lean cuisine meals... the wood fire style roasted garlic chicken pizza.
Suddenly I was inspired for my first meal... a homemade pizza! I thought why start with something challenging, this I surely could handle!

Luckily the fridge and cabinets were stocked with everything
a girl would need to make a pizza, I had no time to be grocery shopping because the Blackhawks were starting in less than an hour.  I began assembling all the ingredients I thought would be good to add to a pizza : Cheese, cheese, and more cheese, peppers, onions, tomatoes, and of course garlic. What I was really enjoyed about the homemade pizza is that you could make it your own. As I laid out the pizza crust and began spreading the sauce, flashbacks to elementary school lunchables were popping into my head. You know? The ones where you had to use that little red sticks to spread the sauce onto the crust and add cheese.Classic. As you can see, even in my early years, I was not into making lunches.  I thought to myself " You got this! Lunchables were your thing" That's when it dawned on me, a homemade pizza was like the adult version of a Lunchable!!
Remember these!?
I suddenly felt at ease with my first task of making a homemade pizza.


Recipe ( As interpreted by me) 


1. Pre Heat Oven to 425 
2. Use store bought pizza dough and spread tomato sauce evenly among dough.  
3. Chop up vegetables, garlic, chicken, steak, tofu, bacon, etc. of your choice. 
4. Saute toppings in pan with olive oil ( 1/4 cup) 
5. Sprinkle cheese of your choice onto pizza dough. 
6. Spread vegetables, chicken, toppings etc. onto the pizza. 
7. Spread more cheese on top.
8. Place in oven and cook for 12-14 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

Spotlight on the Chef 


As I was preparing my meal there were a few first that I experienced. One was using the garlic press for the first time! Who knew there was such a tool??  Love it. 
Makes chopping garlic much easier!
 The second thing I learned was sauteing. Of course I have heard this term before, but what did it actually mean? Needless to say.. I googled it and found this very handy step by step directions to teach what exactly sauteing was. Want to learn your yourself check out this link... Sauteing for Beginners. 

Overall, I had a wonderful experience in the Kitchen and it makes me excited to try out more recipes!! Here are a few photos from the dinner and  my guest of honor even thought it was delicious too!  Of course, he is my boyfriend and has to tell me its good either way... :)

 


 Looking for inspiration for my next recipe! I want to try something on the grill!  Let me know your favorite summer grill recipe.. and I just might try it out!


      Chef Lindsay

6 comments:

  1. Way to go Lindsay! It looks good! For the summer grill you have to try shisk-ka-bobs! Not sure if thats the correct spelling, but they are SO good! It's another recipe that you can really make your own. It really just involves picking out meat and vegetables (and sometimes fruit) poking them on sticks and grilling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job, Lindsay! So excited for you. Pizza is so versatile and easy to customize to your own liking by just switching the toppings. I am glad you are going to try out grilling. My fiancé and I are fairly new grillers ourselves. We stick to burgers and hotdogs, but I am looking to expand. I was looking for other new grill recipes and Pinterest is always my first source to find any recipes. Here is a link I found that may be easy to try.

    http://www.plainchicken.com/2010/04/foil-chicken.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM!! Awesome job :) Love reading your blog, I am hungry thinking about using this recipe with my kids. They would love to make their own pizza. Sounds like a plan for Sunday night. Thanks for the recipe. Here is one I would like to share with you.

    http://www.pamperedchef.com/recipe_search/recipe.jsp?id=102265.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember eating those exact pizza Lunchables. I had a traumatic cheese spilling incident with those in fourth grade, so I'm glad you've created an updated version. I actually like to cook pizza on the grill. I use pitas for the crust and just add the sauce and toppings. It's done quickly and the crust is really crispy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. . . and I love that you went from can opener to garlic press!

    One of my favorite things to grill in the summer is super easy. Take either beef stew meat or chunks of chicken breast and marinate for a few hours with regular bottled Italian dressing. Throw them on the grill in one of those grill wok thingies. Add some onion, cauliflower, cherry tomatoes, whatever grabs you. Stir occasionally, adding more dressing if needed. When everything is close to done, throw in some shrimp-- it only takes a few minutes. Serve with yellow rice. Delicious, and good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I can say is pinterest! I love the recipes I find there! Let me know if you want some really easy ones!

    ReplyDelete