Monday, July 8, 2013

Savoring the Tyhme

In life, it's all about savoring the time because sometimes life just goes by way too fast!  Having this summer "off"  and the breaks in between grad school classes has really forced me to savor the time I have free by doing the things I love with the people I love.  One thing I love most is dinner time with friends and family. This may seem surprising since I am new to cooking for myself, but don't get me wrong I LOVE to eat and chat with friends and family.

There is something so quintessential about dinner time.  Having everyone sit down and share the same meal brings me back to memories of my childhood. Growing up this is something that was mandatory in my house and wasn't always something I loved. During high school I wished I could be like my other friends and not have to be home for dinner, but now, I am glad that this was something that our family did because it forced us to savor the time we had together.

Nowadays, I especially love dinner time because it allows friends and family to come together and remove themselves from their cell phones and the constant updates on social media. I am a stickler for this rule. No cell phones at the dinner table. It drives me nuts! Which I have to admit, I did Not always  follow this rule.

Tonight, dinner was a special occasion! Alex completed his first day at the Police Academy and I wanted  to make him something special. He really enjoys steak so I decided to make steak, asparagus, and a Grilled Roasted Corn Salad


 As I was looking over the recipe and discussing with my Mom which items we had in our garden, I learned something new about green beans that had both my Mom and I in a fit of hysterical laughter.  I was reading the recipe and asked her what Hericot Verts were. Being a teacher I pronounced it phonetically as I thought it would sound Hair-i-cot Ver-ts in which she busted out laughing and couldn't stop. Later did I come to find that these Hericot Verts were just a fancy french name for green beens and that it was pronounce Hair-i -co Vare. Why does everything french have to sounds so fancy!  Needless to say I learned a very valuable cooking lesson today about what  Hericot Verts  are.


This is the recipe I followed for the Salad! It was so easy to make and turned out to be the perfect combination of sweet, salty, and crunchy!


Spotlight on Chef 


As I was preparing the meal I learned a lot about cooking! 

1.Using fresh herbs from the garden is a great addition to your meal! 
2. Chiffonade is a real term used to roll herbs and cut into pretty strips.  
3. You tube is your best friend. Taught me how to Chiffonade 
4. I need to learn more french terms to understand these recipes! 


The corn salad turned out amazing and is one I will be making again! I also grilled my very first steak on the grill! 




Looking for inspiration for my next recipe! I am hoping to try a dish from another country! What is your favorite type of food? Mexican? French? German? Italian?



    Chef Lindsay

2 comments:

  1. We had the same dinner time rules at our house. And you're right, it's more special now looking back at those times. The corn salad looks amazing! On another note, we have lots of Mexican food in our house. It's usually a staple because it's easy to just cook up some meat for tacos. I think it would be fun for you to try a more authentic approach though, and I'm really not sure of any authentic Mexican recipes! Have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love family dinner, too! That salad looks delicious! I was laughing along with you because I pronounced hericot verts the same way! You should try lasagna cups! I've made them a few times and we LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete