Wednesday, July 24, 2013

When cooking there is little margarine for error

When I first started cooking I thought there was little margin for error and that terrified me. As I watched those who cooked around me they seemed to know their way around the kitchen and could throw a dash of salt, a pinch of garlic, a teaspoon of lime without any measuring cups!  I watched in amazement as they did this because it was so different than the way I prepared meals. I would get so caught up in the exact measurements of ingredients that I didn't want to mess it up. I think that's why I always enjoyed baking. There was a set recipe that must be followed exactly and cooks in a specific amount of time.

Then there is cooking. Everything changes!There is not always an exact way to make a recipe and it took me awhile (still learning) to really relish in that.  Despite me not knowing a lot about cooking I'm starting to understand how to spice things on my own! When they first say salt and pepper the chicken I would always be nervous how much is too much, or is this enough? It bothered me that there was not a specific amount. I think that must be the teacher in me! 

This week I decided to make CrockPot Shredded Chicken that I have been seeing all over Pinterest.  If you don't have a pinterest get one now!!

Crockpot Shredded Chicken Recipe - Easiest recipe ever! 

*Boneless Chicken Breast
* Chicken Broth
* Salt & Pepper
* Spices 

Step 1: Salt and Pepper the Chicken 

 2. Add Spices. I added garlic and herb and even a little crushed red paper flake to add some spice. You can add anything you like!

 3. Put it in the crock pot on medium heat for 5-6 hours. Add chicken broth halfway to cover the chicken
.
4. Take out chicken and let dry for a few minutes. Get a plastic ziploc bag and turn it inside out so that you can grab the chicken and put it inside the bag. Zip up the bag and then use your fingers to separate the chicken. Then it's already in the bag so you can freeze the chicken you don't use.











Once you are done you now have shredded chicken for any number of recipes!! I think this idea is best if you cook your shredded chicken on Sunday and then prepare your meals for the rest of the week!

This week I used the shredded chicken for tacos and chicken salad. I don't have the picture of the tacos but they were delicious!


What have you made or what would you make with the extra shredded chicken?! 


3 comments:

  1. I love shredded chicken! It's so moist and soft. My favorite is when it's on a taco salad but I bet it would be good in a sandwich or wrap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm new to the cooking world also and just starting to learn how to properly season things too. I've seen recipes for shredded chicken, but was a bit intimidated by it. Your explanation was so simple. I'd like to get a small crock pot for myself. I think I could steal one from my parents (they never use theirs). Thank you for the great advice. I should make a couple bags of these right before school starts. Great lunch and dinner idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love crockpots! I have played around with a few recipes. They are perfect for when I'm lazy and hungry. I like to put shredded chicken in buffalo chicken tacquitos.

    ReplyDelete